• The Church in Moratalla – IGLESIA NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA ASUNCIÓN

    by  • May 7, 2010 • moratalla town, Photos

    The Church standing proudly in the centre of the town

    The Church standing proudly in the centre of the town (the castle in the background)

    The church is located in the historic old town – there are two access points. You can get to the church from the town house within 1 minute walk (slightly uphill).

    This is one of the very few restored columnar type churches. The colossal columns used in this church, as in the temples of El Salvador in Caravaca, is a sign of noble Roman classicism. Its three ribbed vaults are supported by six columns, two of them, free-and four cantilevers.

    The church at night

    The church is Renaissance style from the 16th century (Siglo XVI) and is located on calle major in Moratalla.

    After last Civil War the building was almost destroyed, the altar burned and there were heavy losses. On August 7, 1950 the church was restored by architect Peter Cer.

    The church

    For more information look here: http://www.regmurcia.com/servlet/s.Sl?sit=a,85,c,522,m,1075&r=CeAP-2011-C_406_DETALLE_CENTRO

    About